Word from a Hipster


I've noticed the topic of hipsters has since become a social obsession, but really, what's the issue? Ran into this article in the UCT Varsity paper describing and discussing whether the existence of "hipsters" is "cool" or actually a "social disease".

First of all, I shan't bother describe or explain what a hipster is, I know theres a plethora of articles and checklists to "test yourself"...I did, and my test came back positive- I happen to be hipster. How did I let this happen? Well,it wasn't thanks to television or imitation, because what people don't realize is that the fascination with this apparent social sect and the lifestyles of these individuals is giving rise to an appropriation and commercialization of this culture. As ingeniously detected by the author of the above article, the original hipster's style includes items excavated from their long-forgotten original sources, whether it be second-hand stores or grandma's closet. However, this style of items has been copied and duplicated by retail giants such as Mr Price such that, regardless where you got it from,hipster or not, every-one is sporting brogues and tan satchels nowadays. Which makes me think that some of the criticisms of hipsters are clearly hypocritical.

I, personally, am sarcastic by nature. And unfortunately, my non-committal attitude is a natural fault to my personality- it's hard to get me excited about anything but which is genuinely exciting. This can be perceived as  "liking things ironically" and fitted to this new born stereotype of being a hipster. I understand how this would cause a social concern, namely, that apathy is not a productive attitude, but even the most boisterous and extroverted individuals can be just as non-contributive to the welfare of society. Furthermore, may it be understood, that having a demure demeanor does not mean one has no passion. Time Magazine has, disconcertingly,so, gone to the lengths of stating hipsters were "the dead end of Western Civilization". I disagree. Although I have not the capacity to speak generally here, a majority of my interests are for the purpose of self progression,and sensitization about issues affecting humanity. On a daily basis,my being "alternative" is actually pursuing knowledge on things outside my normal scope of life. At this rate, I'm in a better position to discover the cure for cancer than your "non-hipster" YMCMBer..

I wonder if you're confused, reading this...I'll admit feel confused, writing it. It seems to be a roundabout argument indeed- people can't decide whether to love or hate hipsters because much criticism can be hurled carelessly about how much effort they put into being "cool" when that effort is standard- other people actually go to greater lengths for social acceptance. Furthermore, that idea in itself (that hipsters try too hard to be "cool") is fallacious and incorrect. As a hipster I ought to raise the volume and speak out- that stereotyping is something that needs to stop, as it's just an unnecessary method for humans to shun each other over their differences, and typecast each other for security.

Oh hell yes,I do get offended when called a hipster, even if I exhibit all the signs, because why should I fit a mould? I am currently in this "hipster" predicament because I was aiming for the contrary- breaking the mould. I fell into this pit by trying to get out of the pit of convention and lack of critical-thinking and behaviour so common in my forsaken generation...we fall for anything because we stand for nothing. I repeat, it wasn't imitating others, I arrived at this point through my own exploration; got lost, only to find myself once again. And the person I discovered within me was one who doesn't care for heels in the club anymore, lives in combat boots, detests any mainstream activities because it's all a bandwagon for us to jump on-no intelligence on board. One who is fascinated by a myriad of cultures, and incorporates them into my being because in the end,we are all connected...one who experiments and roots for the underdog especially musically, because truthfully, they're more authentic..and I could go on for ages really. But I am me, and my interests are my interests.

If I am a hipster, then so be it.

-Fenix

Comments

  1. You speak out against stereotypes but then proceed to do exactly that in your own post.

    Examples:

    - "Roots for the underdog especially musically, because truthfully, they're more authentic"

    The underlying supposition being that people who are not underdogs are less likely to be authentic than those who are not. Whether this is actually the case or not has no bearing. The idea that there a correlation either way has roots in stereotypical thinking.

    - "Detests any mainstream activities because its all a bandwagon for us to jump on-no intelligence on board."

    There's no supposition here. You go even further and directly state your disdain for anything mainstream because you perceive such as having a connection and/or correlation with being unintelligent. It is stereotypical in nature because your brain seems to be constantly scanning for "social norms" and to rebel against that. Like it or not, your anti-stereotypical attitude has some pretty stereotypical roots. The difference is that you are perhaps more open minded than most, but that still does not change the fact that your thoughts possess stereotypical roots.

    ... and there's nothing wrong with that. It's human nature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts